Saturday, August 16, 2014

Rainy days in August










So far my summer has been pretty crappy - weather wise. Yesterday it was so cold that I actually felt the need for some nice, yummy hot soup. In august! Isn't that nice? (Sarcasm off).

My boyfriend and I decided on Tom Kha Gai, an Asian soup that we'd made last winter and both of us quite enjoyed. As we needed a few more ingredients we went to the store, and while browsing the shelves I discovered some yaki nori (seaweed wraps or whatever the seaweed stuff that sushi is wrapped in is called ;) ). Le boyfriend doesn't like sushi bit I definitely do so I decided that we'd make sushi and he could have the sushi rice as a side to go with the soup.




Now I don't mean to brag but the soup tasted pretty good :). Tom Kha Gai is a soup based on coconut milk, chili, fish stock and lemongrass so it might not be everyone's cup of tea but I would recommend  to just give it a try. We kind of went overboard with the vegetables, adding mushrooms, carrots, snap peas, mungo beans, and cut up chicken breast.




This was the first time I made sushi and I didn't have fresh fish as I live near the alps and the likes of salmon aren't that easy to come by here (at least in sushi quality ), so I made it with zucchini, carrot, avocado and canned tuna. I also forgot to buy wasabi paste and ginger so all I had was soy sauce, but it still tasted quite yummy!

On a different note we went to the movies today and watched "Lucy". My boyfriend thought it was ok and I really enjoyed it. There was quite a lot of shooting going on which I could've done without but other than that I highly recommend it.

Speaking of recommending, I'm considering doing a "July favorites" blogpost soon, where I will be talking about some of the things I loved in July, be it food ( I do love food!), books, clothing, places, etc. So that's something to look forward to isn't it? ( and for me it's a reminder to stay active - I am a very lazy person and find it hard not to procrastinate every minute of my life away).

If you managed to read until now I not only congratulate you but I also want to thank you. It still feels weird writing this text, not knowing who - and if someone will ever read it. So if you're out there: thank you !! And please feel free to talk to me through the comments. Food may be my number one love, but talking doesn't fall far behind.

Lots of love,

Laura

xoxo

No comments: